Thursday 19 February 2015

Do you want a film to weep at?-If I Stay


My best friend came over the other night so we could watch a proper girly flick and we decided on "If I Stay". Now, I have seen this film when it was released in cinemas but my friend had never seen it before. And wow, its certainly a tear jerker.

The film is based upon the book by Gayle Forman. It is based on Mia Hall who is left in a coma after a car accident. During an out-of-body experience, she must decide whether to wake up and live a life far different than she had imagined. The choice is hers if she can go on. 
Mia Hall is played by Chloe Grace Moretz and she gives such a great performance throughout and you really engage with her character. As film opens we discover that Mia is part of a family that seems just too perfect, they are just all so cute. They then set off out together, and they are involved in an car accident. Seeing herself, she starts to understand, as she goes to the hospital that she is having an outerbody experience. These scenes all occur at the start of the film, the rest of the film is based at the hospital, with the majority of the film being flash-backs.

Director RJ Cutler has done an amazing job with this film, they way it was shot and edited together really contributed to the emotion. I loved how we are based at the accident and hospital but the film is led by flashbacks which gives us an insight into each character in the film.

Through flashbacks we see that Mia has fallen in love with older boy Adam, played by Jamie Buckley. And following their love story was truly lovely! As they are both completely different with their music, as Mia is more classical and Adam is a rockstar. They both just showed such a beautiful love story between two young people. My favourite part with these two is right at the end when he sits at her bedside and he writes her a song which is followed by flashback of him and her and its so cute and at this point I was crying uncontrollably. 

The film had such a great cast, but I absolutely loved Mia's family members. Joshua Leonard plays Mia's father. He and the Director got the flashback scenes just right, they are also funny, as we see the younger wild rocker turn into the more chilled parent. But we have them beautiful shots and them real tear jerker moments where you can't help but weep. Mireille Enos, playing the mother, was absolutely incredible, she was such a cool mum, but has some poignant scenes with her daughter. However the most emotional scenes were with Mia's grandfather played by actor Stacy Keach. He gives a stand-out performance, particularly in one very emotional and very important scene. Wow, I was uncontrolably crying at that point.



Such a beautfiul film, and amazing cast, and outstanding and emotional storyline. It was funny because me and my friend were sat crying and then I was crying at her crying, she was crying at me crying. It was simply the most I have cried at a film ever. It weird because it makes you really think about, well, life! But I loved the story because even though it is based around the love between Mia and Adam, its also about the love between family and it was simply beautiful.

I really recommend everyone watch this! EVERYONE! Thankyou for reading this quick little post and let me know what you think of the film if you have watched it! Did you cry a lot? Did you fall in love with the film? :-)

No comments: