Sunday 8 February 2015

Lazy Sunday Films (Netflix)


I have done a post previously of some of my favourite films which were on Netflix, but in this post I am going to give you a few recommendations of films for a perfect lazy Sunday. Now I love lazy Sundays but can't always enjoy them because I'm working, but when I do I love to stay in my pyjamas all day, drink lots of tea and watch some films. Now I watch films from NOW TV, Netflix, DVD's, from anywhere really, but in this post I'll be recommending a film from each genre that is on Netflix. 

Action and Adventure.
Hansel and Gretel:Witch Hunters & Sin City

There are such a wide range of films in this genre on Netflix, so I am going to recommend a couple because I really don't think I could settle on one. One of my favourites featured in this genre is Hansel & Gretel:Witch Hunters. Now this film is just a twist on the classic tale, based on Hansel and Gretel who are witch hunters, and when there is a fabled moon, a new kind of evil awakens that holds a secret to their past. I just love the way the style of the film its so dark and quite gothic but so action packed and I love it. I love the storyline and how they interpreted the classic tale into it, and the two main actors Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton gave a brilliant performance throughout. I just think this is one of those lazy Sunday films, a good old action packed fairytale.
Now I also love Sin City, based on four tales of crime adapted from Frank Miller's popular comics, focusing around a brute who's looking for the person responsible for the death of his beloved Goldie, a man fed up with Sin City's corrupt law enforcement who takes the law into his own hands after a horrible mistake, a cop who risks his life to protect a girl from a deformed pedophile, and a hitman looking to make a little cash. And again, I love the style of the film, I find this one in particular visually stunning and unique. The story lines are intense and intriguing and its all in all a really good film, the performances are all brilliant through out. One of those films you could watch over and over. 


















British.
Miss Potter

Its funny actually because when I look through the British genre on Netflix, half of them aren't British! But regardless you have a lot of British films to choose from, from an elegant classic encounter with Mr Darcey to a  grungy street thug film. But my favourite is Miss Potter, yeah I know, not everyones go to but it's such a relaxing upbeat film to me. It is basically based around the story of Beatrix Potter who is the author of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit", and her life around the book. And its just such a lovely film. It stars Renee Zellweger as Miss Potter along with Ewan McGregor, Emma Watson and many more. There isn't that much to say about it apart that is lovely and interesting to learn about the life of such a famous author.

Children and Family.
Bratz:The Movie

Yes, I know what your thinking. High quality recommendation. But its just such a lazy Sunday film, just complete rubbish but its just so good, I can't explain it. It is basically the live action remake of the famous Bratz animation and I have to say when I was younger I was obsessed with the animations and I had all the dolls! But besides that it revolves around the four best friends dealing with the first year of high school and its just a great film to watch on a lazy Sunday!

Comedy.
21 & Over

Again there is so many comedies on Netflix, but it depends on your sense of humour and if you have seen Project X, you will love this! It is basically about this guy celebrating his 21st birthday with his two best friends the night before his important medical school interview. And its just hilarious, I laughed all the way through it and after watching Project X and loving that, it just carries on the same humour and I think its just so relatable to teenagers. As this kind of situation is every teenagers dream I suppose. But other than that, a great film thats incredibly hilarious. 


















Drama.
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

If you are ready for a good cry then this film is certainly for you. It is set during World War II, and is a story seen through the eyes of Bruno, the eight-year-old son of the commandant at a concentration camp, whose forbidden friendship with a Jewish boy on the other side of the camp fence has startling and unexpected consequences. It visually beautiful and the story is simply heartbreaking but is told with such beauty. You really involve yourself with each character and every performance is brilliantly delivered by everyone on screen. I think visually seeing such an awful part of history is really enlightening in a sense and its hard hitting. Because everyone will have heard of this tragic time in history but won't truly understand how awful it was until you see it, in this case through this film. I cried so much and I thought about it a lot after which is good because you really think about the story of the film and the message it gives. Just a tragic yet beautiful film. I recommend everyone watch it.

Horror.
Vacancy

I have spoke about alot of horror films previously as they are my favourite genre. So I didn't want to be too repetitive. But if you want a classic slasher film I love the Saw franchise and Texas Chainsaw, or maybe if your feeling a little paranormal, I recommend Blair Witch or Insidious. But I came across Vacancy recently and its one of those films that I haven't watched in ages but I really enjoyed! It is basically based around a young married couple who become stranded at an isolated motel which has video cameras in the room, so they have to escape before they become part of a snuff film. Its a thriller, horror and it just keeps you on the edge of your seat and certainly is a good tension builder. Certainly a class lazy Sunday horror flick.

Musicals.
Disney Films

Now I know this may not count but every Disney film has some really good sing along songs and I have to say the best type of film to watch on a lazy Sunday is a Disney film. They are just so nostalgic for me and are just classics and they make me happy. Some of my favourites are Mulan, Hercules, Aladdin, Toy Story. All available on Netflix along with lots more Disney classics.


Romance.
Safe Haven

Everyone loves a good romance. I certainly do. And at the moment on Netflix my favourite has been Safe Haven. It is based on a young woman with a mysterious past, and she runs away to Southport, North Carolina where her bond with a widower forces her to confront the dark secret that haunts her. I loved the storyline and the backstory behind the main female character and of course I loved the romance. I just enjoyed it a lot more because there was something to the story besides constant happiness and love. I'm not sure what it was but I really loved it. And Josh Duhamel is in it and he is just a dream.


















Sci-Fi & Fantasy.
Hunger Games:Catching Fire

Do I really have to say anything? Well I am not the biggest sci-fi fan, but I love fantasy films. And Hunger Games is up there with one of my favourite franchises. If anyone hasn't heard of this film it is the second film in the Hunger Games franchise which is about the battle between the Capitol and the Districts in a broad description, but it obviously has a lot more too it. You would have to watch the first film in order to understand the story but I have previously done posts on the films of you want to check them out. But definitely a amazing film. A must see!


















And those are my recommendations, there are a lot of genres on Netflix but some I didn't have a favourite film for so I didn't want to just randomly choose one. But Netflix is amazing for lazy Sundays, so much variety and there is something for everyone. But what is your favourite film on Netflix? Do you enjoy lazy Sundays? Have you seen any of the films I've mentioned?

Thankyou so much for reading and feel free to leave me a comment, tell me what you think! :-)

No comments: