Thursday 8 January 2015

A "HELL YES" film, and a "OH GOD NO" film.

I hope everyone had an amazing new year, and is looking forward to 2015. I am so excited for upcoming film releases, emerging actors and new talent being brought to our tv screens. Aswell as this we see the returns of much loved hollywood blockbusters, such as Jurrasic Park, Star Wars. Ooo I can't wait!
However, I have been watching a variety of films this week, thanks to Sky Demand, where they give you a whole range of movies to watch and they haven't been half spoiling us with films. There were some films I loved and thought "how have I not seen this before" and some which were just dreadful, just dreadful. So I thought I'd share one "OMG HOW HAVE I NOT SEEN THIS" film and a "IVE LOST AN HOUR AND A HALF OF MY LIFE NOW" film.

LEFT BEHIND (2014)

Now I had never heard of this film before until I came across it on Sky, and I was simply intrigued. It's called "Left Behind". It is mainly based around the end of the world and the rapture, but focuses around one family. A lying pilot called Rayford (Nicholas Cage) who has his eyes on a member of the cabin crew, his wife Irene who is very religious and has a troubled relationship with her daughter Chloe, who refuses to believe in what her mother strongly does. And Irene and Rayford also have a son called Raymie. Now they are just going about their daily lives when millions of people suddenly vanish and there is chaos. Now we are shown two view points, one from the plane where we see Rayford and the passengers on that flight, and then the other being in New York, where we see Chloe and the rest of the family as well as the city. 

So what did I think? Well, Academy Award winner Nicholas Cage really does disappoint with his dull and florid performance in this film. I think he had just one moment in the end where some genuine emotion was shown, but even then you just think what he's has been through in the story and his expressions are just not what you would expect. Cassi Thompson who plays Chloe did her best to carry the film on the ground, but it was just so poor, all she really did throughout the film was run everywhere.
The part where the passengers were boarding the plane, it felt so cheesy, however this film in general just screams cheese! But I must admit, I kind of like that. Of course, there is the sexy and flirtatious stewardess Hattie (Nicki Whelan), who just did my head in throughout and she could not for the life of her act, and it was so embaressing to watch her and Nicholas Cage flirt. Oh there is also another main character, who is a TV journalist called Buck Williams (Chad Michael Murray), who is of course has a blossoming romance with Chloe. Cheese Cheese Cheese. The rest of the passengers on the plane consisted of a Muslim man, an angry midget, a sleazy businessman, a nerdy Asian conspiracy theorist, a nervous drug addict, an even more nervous gun-toting mother (Who was played by Jordin Sparks!). 

However, as a Christian themed film, I felt this film did not do its job well at all. Oddly, it made Christians appear unnaturally nutty or weird. Worst of all, its main message was lost in the confusion and all of that cheese. So in general the film is watchable, but I have to say for me its one of those really bad films that are kind of good. Do you know what I mean? All in all, it wasn't the best, performances weren't strong, and the storyline and message were all over the place but if your looking for a cheesy film, YOUR WELCOME. Or just "Leave It Behind" *funny drum thing.

















EDGE OF TOMORROW (2014)
It was actually my mum who put this film on, because I have to say, I am not a big fan of Tom Cruise. I don't know what it is, I find him rather boring and repetitive, and just generally I don't enjoy watching him in movies. But my mum convinced me to watch it with her. I warn you now that the storyline is complicated, or it may just be me.
Aliens have began an attack on planet earth, and they cannot be defeated by any military unit in the world. So Cage (Cruise) is an officer who has never seen a day of combat when he is unceremoniously dropped into what amounts to a suicide mission. Killed within minutes, he now finds himself thrown into a time loop-forcing him to live out the same brutal combat over and over, fighting and dying again...and again. But with each battle, he advantages as he knows everyones move and desisions, whilst he is increasing his skills, alongside Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Emily Blunt). And, as he and Vrataski take the fight to the aliens, each repeated day gets them one step closer to defeating the aliens.
This is one of those films where you think "HOW HAVE I NOT WATCHED THIS", obviously because I don't really like Tom Cruise but, wow, this film is just amazing.
I just can't believe how much I related to and liked Tom Cruise's character, Major William Cage. This is easily his action packed role since 'Magnolia'. He really seems to relish the opportunity. I won't give away too much, but be prepared to chuckle and laugh when you see a new side of Tom Cruise as well as sympathise and engage with him. This was so weird for me.

And I have to say action-packed scenes are driven and made so realistic by the outstanding special effects throughout the whole film! It just so well presented and just wow! 
The rest of the cast is also an extremely good choice, especially the beautiful Emily Blunt, who I am such a big fan of, and I just love her. No matter what she does, she always comes across as genuine and real. But her character is a tough, seasoned soldier other soldiers refer to as "full metal bitch" and she plays it so well! Bill Paxton and Brendon Gleeson are always a great addition to any movie, character-wise, they don't do anything here that you haven't seen them do before.

The film definitely does deliver. I have to say I am not a big sci-fi movie fan but this blew me away! The battle scenes are beautifully orchestrated and there are moments when the intensity of the fighting scenes just have you hanging of the edge of your seat. Even the design of the aliens were phenomenal. All in all, a must see!



No comments: