Wednesday 21 January 2015

Unfriended! - New genre of horror?


Around a week ago I came across a trailer for a new horror film called 'Unfriended'. I am a massive fan of horror, as a matter of fact its my favourite genre! So I was so excited when I first saw the trailer for this movie. Its even got a new genre "cybernatural". It might not be new but I certainly haven't heard of that genre of film before.

It is based around a girl called Laura who commited suicide after a video of her whilst drunk was uploaded on the internet. And on the anniversary six high school friends receive a Skype message from Laura. At first they think it's a prank, but when the she starts revealing the friends' darkest secrets, they realize they are dealing with something out of this world, something that wants revenge and wants to torture them. Told entirely from a young girl's computer desktop, cybernatural redefines 'found footage' for a new generation of teens.

From the trailer I just think the way this movie has been filmed is so clever, and really gives us an insight into a brand new genre. I think it very much so reflects society today, as we are all internet crazy and technology is quickly developing. And I think it will work really well. We obviously have had the found footage films like "Paranormal Activity", but this is just so different as we watch it through a computer screen. Some may not like the concept, some will, I am certainly excited to see how effective it is. 

And I think the story, of what seems to be revenge seems really interesting. I love supernatural horror,  and the whole 'coming back for revenge' but this just seems so different and fresh. And as I said before, because this reflects our current society now, especially around young people, I really do think it will scare alot of younger audiences, because they will be aware with video leaks and skype and the idea of the internet being a scary place. 

There is one part of the trailer that knocked me for six, and that was when one of the male characters is being attacked by the supposed 'cyber ghost', he then puts his hand in a blender. Oh my goodness its awful! Its just anyones worst nightmare, I dont know why he has a blender in his room but still, its so brutal. 

Unfriended will be released in April 2015 and I just cannot wait to go and see it! Will it work? Could this be a new genre of horror? What do you think?



Thankyou so much for reading and I will speak soon!

No comments: