Tuesday 23 December 2014

Christmas Flicks! 🎄

HOME ALONE!


This film has to be one of my all time favourite Christmas films. I watch it alot over Christmas, as a matter of fact, I just watched it a few hours ago when I got home from work. I don't know, its just one of them nostalgic films that brings back alot of memories from Christmas and one that just makes me very happy! It was written by my favourite writer and director John Hughes (The Breakfast Club) and was directed by Chris Columbus (Mrs Doubtfire).

If you have been hiding under a rock and haven't heard of it or even watched it, then its basically about the McCallister family, as they prepare for a Christmas holiday in Paris, France. But the youngest in the family, Kevin got into a scuffle with his older brother Buzz and was sent to his room which is on the third floor of his house. Then, the next morning, while the rest of the family was in a rush to make it to the airport on time, they completely forgot about Kevin and was left home alone. Then, Kevin discovers that two burglars, Harry and Marv, plan to rob his house on Christmas Eve. Kevin acts quickly by wiring his own house with makeshift booby traps to stop the burglars and to bring them to justice. And if you haven't seen this film, you need too!

Kevin McCallister is played by the controversial yet famous child star Macauley Culkin, and he is so good in this movie, he just portrays perfectly how a child would act if he was left alone and could do what he wanted. And he is very cute! Then there is Joe Pesci (Good Fellas) who plays Harry and Daniel Stern (City Slickers) who plays Marv. These two are just the perfect choices for the roles and make the movie. Their slapstick comedy sketches are class and they really deliver. I love them in this and the second film. Catherine O'Hara (Nightmare Before Christmas) plays Kevin's mother and is just every typical Mother! Speaking of this one of my favourite scenes is right at the beginning when the house is chaos and they are ordering food, arguing, and its just my family's house at Christmas and just makes me laugh! 

My favourite part in the whole film is one of the end scenes, with all the booby traps. Its when Harry and Marv attempt to break into the house, but Kevin is one step ahead and has riddled the house with traps! It just so typical slapstick comedy, and I laugh out loud at this scene, its just hilarious. Theres one part in particular and thats when Marv is trying to climb up the stairs which is covered in tar and there is one step with a huge nail on it, and he stands on it! And it one of those funny but "Ahh!" moments. It's just my favourite scene in the whole film.

Obviously this film is part of a franchise, which includes 4 films, in my own personal opinion I only really like the first film, and the second at a push. Mostly because they have the same characters and they are the funniest and best in general. The other two have completely different characters and are completely dreadful! So I would not recommend the 3rd or 4th film. But the 1st and 2nd one, I would definitely reccommend! More the first one!

Thankyou for reading this short little post. And tell me what is your favourite Christmas film? 














No comments: