Tuesday 19 November 2013

UNUSUAL TELEVISION.

BATES MOTEL...


Created by Carlton Cuse, he brings a modern remake and prequel to the movie Pysco. This story begins with the early years of a teenage boy called Norman Bates and his mother Norma, where they lived in an old house overlooking the unusual and mysterious motel which they are at that time renovating. The house and motel both come with secrets of their own as does the new town which the Bates' now call home.

Well I have been watching this in the UK on Universal, and have weirdly enjoyed it. I was first of all intrigued by the advertisments, this including the trailer, posters etc. And just found it quite mysterious and very intriguing. Everyone will know the film Physco by Alfred Hitchcock or at least the shower scene and the ever so famous screeching music. So I thought it was interesting that they show us Norman Bates early years.


One of the main characters Norman Bates is played by Freddie Highmore. Now this might just be me, but the only main screenings I have seen him in is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Spiderwick Chronicles and Arthur. And all of them are aimed more at a younger audience and families, so I was quite suprised when I discovered he would be playing such a dark, tormented character in this horror/thriller series. And from this, I also thought he may not be able to pull of the character as well as someone who is experienced in this genre of film/television. This may be me being judgemental but I genuinely didn't think he would. But I was very suprised and impressed, as he played the character so so well, he made Norman so realistic and true and this really contributed to the darkness and mystery of the storyline. And he seemed such a natural at it, he is a brilliant actor in general from other aspects of film/television he's been in, but saying he has jumped from younger audience aimed film and television to a show such as this is very impressive.

Then we had Vera Farmiga who played Norma, who is Normans mother. Now Vera is known for performing in the horror/thriller/drama genre, as she has starred in films such as The Conjuring, Touching Evil (TV Series) and Running Scared and so many more. And as expected she played this role brilliantly, as her character is very dark, protective and very much a phsyco. So this I would think would be a tricky role to perform, however Vera played it amazingly, again like Freddie she made the character believable and real and this really contributed to the audience interaction and storyline. 


The storyline its self is such a deep, mysterious and simply weird and such an addictive one at that. As each episode leaves you with un-answered questions and thoughts and simply keeps you counting down the days until the next episode. The first series is over now I believe, but I'm sure you can catch up with it or check it out online, well I know you can in the UK, however there is going to be a second series coming but not for a while yet!


However if you aren't into the whole horror/thriller television then this may not be for you, but doesn't mean you can't have a dab at it! You may find the story behind the physco from "Physco" interesting. 


Thankyou so so much for reading, as i've said I try to make my posts sort and brief but interesting, because I know it can be a nightmare to just be reading and reading. But thankyou!


Please follow this blog on BlogLovin' (The link is at the top) and I will speak to you all soon!




Bates Motel Website!

Bates Motel Trailer!

No comments: