Sunday 29 September 2013

THE NEXT TWILIGHT?

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones 











Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama, Romance.
Age rate: 12A.
Cast: Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower, Robert Sheehan.
Director: Harald Zwart.
Based on the novel by: Cassandra Clare.

Set in a voguish New York City, a seemingly ordinary teenager, Clary Fray (Lily Collins), discovers she is the descendant of a line of Shadowhunters, a secret cadre of young half-angel warriors locked in an ancient battle to protect our world from demons, however her mother kept this secret from Clary for her entire life, until now. Then after the mysterious disappearance of her mother (Lena Headey), Clary must join forces with a group of Shadowhunters, who introduce her to a perilous alternate New York style world called Downworld, filled with demons, warlocks, vampires, werewolves and other deadly, mystical creatures. Which comes along with another predictable romance between main characters Clary and Jace (Jamie Campbell Bower). Based on the worldwide best-selling book series from Cassandra Clare.

I went to see this at my local cinema with my dad, who was visiting from Singapore. So we went to choose a film it was between this and Grown Ups 2 (which I have also seen) and I persuaded my dad to go and see this with me. I will quickly sum it up for you. He fell asleep! Haha! However, my dad is always asleep so there is no change there! But I do have to say, it was a very long film! Its on for 2 hours and 10 minutes, and that time certainly does drag, I felt like I was in that cinema for days! I would personally say it was due to the length of time it takes for the story to get into the exciting, romantic, action-filled parts. In other words it took a while to get into. 


In my personal opinion, only selected audiences would enjoy this, so for example, if you enjoyed the twilight saga, or enjoy mythical romance, I really think you would enjoy this. It full of romance, action, mythical creatures and story lines, and will keep you guessing throughout. And I have to add that I strangely found the main character Jace (Jamie Campbell Bower) really intriguing, and gorgeous, as he comes across as very mysterious, and it may also be that he is the main character, and its wrong not to fall in love with the character. Just like Edward Cullen from Twilight.


So all in all, a good film, not the best I have seen, but I am certainly looking forward to the upcoming movies. And I may even begin to read the novels, as they have been spoken of highly and as everyone says "the books are better than the films".


No comments: