Friday 6 September 2013

HORROR FLICK RECOMMENDATIONS

Tavish's Recommended Horror Flicks!

My blog post's are mainly aimed at younger audiences around my age 16+. Just basic, straight to the point and fun posts that people will enjoy reading! 

And here I will do regular posts recommending films from my own personal opinion. I will do all genres of films and not just horror. Don't worry! But these are my personal opinions from what I have previously enjoyed, and does not mean you will like them just because i do! Haha.
So here are my recommended "horror flicks"! I hope you benefit from this!


  • THE EVIL DEAD (2013) 9/10
Evil Dead advertisement and DVD Cover.
I went to go and watch this movie at the cinema a number of weeks ago. I didn't know what to expect, but all I knew is that it was an updated remake from the original (made in 1981). So as you would stereotypically think..."it will never beat the original". Well I disagree. 

The original is a scary flick, and enjoyable, as its a classic 80's horror flick! But as you would imagine the technical and visual side of the film was poor, obviously due to less developed technology. 

But back to the now! I find the majority of horror films being brought out in this day and age, are purely based around the paranormal, demons, spiritual backgrounds. And I have not seen a modern day gore in a long time! Until this.

Scene from "Evil Dead"
This may sound weird but the mass amount of blood, gore and thrill is amazing! But thats just my personal film taste. It puts you in suspense from beginning to end, and this I personally think makes a good horror! The gore levels are so extreme but bring back the good old fashioned gore vibe! 

So if your into your gory, thrilling horror flicks, i definitely recommend this one! It will have you on the edge of your seat or in most cases hiding behind a pillow! (YOU CAN PURCHASE THIS ON DVD)




  • THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT (1999) 7/10
The Blair Witch Project advertisement.
I had heard of this film many of times but truthfully, I never got round to watching it, and it didn't really appeal to me, as my first impressions from just the DVD cover were quite negative.

But I finally sat and watched it, when I came across it on NETFLIX (Which I highly recommend!). So it first reminded me of Paranormal Activity, from the method it was filmed mainly. I originally thought it was based upon a true story, but a short while after found out it was not. However I do believe the background story to the film is based upon true events. 

Well knowing that this was based around the paranormal and not particularly gore, I was very intrigued. I admit, it takes a bit of getting into for the first half, but as it finally gets into the thrilling, spooky scenes, it really sends shivers down your spine, and really puts a lot of questions in your head. But also knowing some aspects of the film are based upon true facts/events, makes it that little more spooky. 

So if your a patient individual, who enjoys a spooky thriller, i do recommend this. I admit, it isn't the best paranormal thriller I have watched, but I did weirdly enjoy it and don't regret watching it. (YOU CAN PURCHASE THIS ON DVD)


  • THE CONJURING (2013) 9.5/10
One of many advertisements for "The Conjuring"
The Conjuring. Based upon true events from world renewed paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren, they share with us the case that was so terrifying, they kept it hidden. Until now. This film is also a prequel to The Amityville Horror, but the paranormal investigators only released their story recently.

I have to admit, after watching films similar to this, such as Insidious, Sinister, I did not particularly have high expectations for this film. And boy was I blown away! I went to watch this in the cinema whilst on holiday in Singapore, where I experienced gold class cinema (which I will do a separate post about). Anyway, I first think knowing it was based upon true events, gave it a head start, regarding the scare rating. But the story line is so cleverly executed, and really does have you on the edge of your seat, as there is shocks and surprises from beginning and throughout! 

I love horrors as you may already know now. And I love a spooky, paranormal horror, and this had it all, as well as the un-seen paranormal actions, you actually visually see the ghosts and demons in particular parts of the film. Which doubles the scare rating! I wont go into detail as I don't want to give anything away!

The story behind the film is very spooky indeed. The actors/actresses (Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga) really do make the film as good as it can be, and even makes the film feel real, so the choice of the cast was great!

I dont recommend this to particular people...I RECOMMEND THIS TO EVERYONE! Even if your hard to please and it doesn't spook you just the littlest bit, I will be shocked! A truly great spooky thriller. A glimpse of hope for future horrors to come.


"So there you are. Three detailed and relatively recent film recommendations.
I do realise now there is a lot of text for some people who may not want to read loads, but I tried to cover as much as possible, to the highest standard I could, whilst keeping the text to a minimum."

And I also would like to remind people that these are purely my own opinions and doesn't mean they must apply to everyone. I am purely giving my opinion to help you.

Don't worry I will keep some posts to a minimum and do others detailed like this one.

Thank you. And I will be posting many more soon!

No comments: